Saturday, February 7, 2009

One step at a time

I’ve been spending a considerable amount of time contemplating the relationship between planning and reaching goals. My obsession started with the excessive “coach speak” during the NCAA football season. While each coach had aspirations and goals to improve their rankings and receive a bowl berth, they effective coaches maintained their immediate focus not on the future in January, but on the next game. So I began to wonder, when it comes to planning how close to the point of action is necessary for success? Or was my question, does planning too far in advance increase your chances on missing your goals. I wasn’t sure, but I do know that the successful coaches didn’t prepare for the games two weeks away but planned for the next week. Yet is that close enough? Did they plan for each day of the week or just the next practice session? Perhaps after the Saturday game and watching the game film, they planned for Sunday, and took each day one day at a time.

Ok, now why is this a pressing issue? Well…this past Monday I came home to a house ankle deep in water from corner to corner. I am not sure what was more shocking: seeing water flowing out my front door or seeing Stanlee paddling through the water in the living room. I am not prepared to discuss the volume of damage other than living displaced is causing an undesirable amount of stress. That said, I am preoccupied with the though of my long-term goal of life back to normal. Yet I get lost when it comes to planning how to get there. If I get too far ahead in my plans I get consumed with anxiety. Only when I focus on the closest act to me is where I find serenity. Perhaps that too, as it has for the coaches mentioned above will lead me to success.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: