Monday, September 1, 2008

Albertsons R.I.P.

Options of what to do, where to stop, while driving home after closing down a bar just became a little easier. For there is one less option, as of Saturday Albertsons of Plantation is gone. It has been a long goodbye, for months we have been waiting to hear of the final date. Once Publix bought out the South Florida locations the shock quite never left. The last days approached quickly with % markdowns. I must say I didn't feel one ounce of sorrow when I purchased a case of wine @ 25% off. Okay a little, but savings is savings.

When I heard late Friday nite that the day arrived I knew there would be one more visit. I didn't want to tell anyone, I needed to take this trip alone. At 7:30 am there were about 50 mourners filling their baskets. Some might call what was left "vulture pickins" but for most these were memories. I too grabbed a few memories and found myself roaming the empty aisles with a few others.

Albertsons was the first one stop shop (well at least in my area), the first with 10 for $10, and always open 24/7. I hear that change is good, I am not so sure on this one yet.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm assuming you went to the one on University and Peters?? How horribly, horribly sad. I remember when Best was next door to it--
boohoo.

.. said...

Yes, I weep with you. Just this morning (or last nite) @ 3 am, I was denied the pleasure...sniff.